Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sometimes You Have To Just Look


Many times while driving past swamps and wetland areas in the fall and Winter I have taken notice of the breathtaking red berries of the Winterberry Holy - Ilex verticillata. I even spent time reading up on propagating the plants and seeds. I really wanted to grow some here. The bright red berrys contrasted against a Winter background is a beautiful sight.
The seeds are eaten by many species of Birds, Red Squirrels, Deer, Raccoons, and other wildlife.
The zig zagging berry clusters are prized by Christmas crafters, but over harvesting could become a issue.
While walking the South Forty I have found some very mature Winterbury plants here on the Homestead. I plan to take inventory of the Winterbury plants here and spend some time clearing some of the invasive plants that are starting to crowd them. They also tend to send out suckers that should be easy to transplant. I am very excited about this find and it shows that sometimes we just don't see whats in front of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve, Do you think they would also
be here in PA?? We have seen something similar on the roadway, I didn't know the name. Love your blog, Mom