Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hellgrammite


This creature could be the source of nightmares for some.
The Hellgrammite is the larval stage of the Dobsonfly. This one is about as big as they get and is the largest I have seen.
Dobsonflies spend the first few years in the larval stage as Hellgrammites. Once they pupate they only live 7 days.
Hellgrammites live under rocks at the bottoms of lakes, streams and rivers, and prey on other insect larvae.
They are a prised as bait by trout fisherman and I remember catching much smaller specimens during my fishing days.

They also are a good indicator of a healthy stream, and if I plan on staying healthy, I better remove this one from Jeanne's kitchen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is big.... Do you not fish anymore?? Jeanne loves your critters :) Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!

- Josh

Anonymous said...

Thank You Josh

Steve

Unknown said...

How long do they live in this stage in picture I live on the creek and I am ready to move if I see another in my bathroom