Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

A First For Me


Some days are phenomenal.
Today was one of them.

Any day that I see a animal that I have never seen, is a fantastic day. Today I can add a Worm Snake to my life list. I found this gem while turning over some soil in the garden, and it made my day!

The following is from a publication from the Connecticut Dept Of Environmental Protection, "Amphibians & Reptiles in Connecticut
A Checklist with Notes on Conservation Status, Identification, and Distribution"

This small, burrowing snake is a southern species, just entering southern New England and adjacent sections of New York. It is most widely distributed in the low-lying areas of Connecticut but specimens have been recorded from elevations up to 900 feet (Klemens, 1993). The principle threat to this species is suburban development that has been spreading across the low-lying portions of the state. This has resulted in the loss of large areas of habitat suitable for this species. Connecticut has a large number of documented locality records for this species when compared to the other states that share the worm snake's northeastern range limit. Worm snakes are rare in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and southeastern New York, and are considered a species of conservation concern.

Considering the status of this snake in this region, We are very lucky to witness this beautiful creature. (Jeanne doesn't seem to agree)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you that you have added yet another creature to your life list. Sorry I have to agree with Jeanne on this one, I'm not a snake person.... Love, Mom