Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Flood 2011


Hours after the river peaked on Tuesday morning, I found myself mesmerized by the magnificent volume of water still riping by the house.

The Connecticut flood of March 2011 will go down in my book as the second worst flood I have experienced. If we had not elevated the house when we did, we would be homeless at this time, The water would have filled our basement to the top, only inches away from the floor boards, and this would have wiped out our furnace, water, and electrical. We also would have lost the kids play room.

I do not, and can not think about the situation we would have found ourselves in if we found ourselves flooded out of our home and had to rebuild it again. I get a queasy feeling thinking about it.

If you take into consideration the magnitude of this flood, and what could have been, it is surprising that the stress level was lower then any other flooding event we have experienced. Was this luck? Absolutely not! This was do to a lot of hard work from a lot of people, and I am so grateful to John Jackmen, Fran Raiola, and Jennifer Thompson up at the Town of Mansfield's Fire Marshalls office, the Folks at Fema, and The State Of Connecticut Dept of Emergency Management.
My family is sheltered by the home they love because of the Town of Mansfield was willing to take on this project.



What a difference a year makes. The kids love it when we need to use the little red school bus to get to school, and when I compare shots from last year to this year, I realize how fast they are growing, and I want it to slow down.

March 2011

March 2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are truly blessed!! I for one am also grateful to the town people! We know how much you love your little piece of "heaven" and know that the Lord does know your every trial..... There is no magic way to stop the growth, one can only hope that the memories that you both are creating will sustain them in their times of trial!! Love to all, Mom and Fred