Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Victory Garden

From time to time while growing up, my father used the term, "Smart Alec".

I convinced Jordan to help me move some mulch into the garden, when the boy decided enough was enough and decided to spread his blanket out on the pile of mulch in the exact spot Jordan was digging from.
It worked because all my help disappeared.

Jeanne does our food shopping at the market, and with the price of food, she has declared that,"This is the year of the garden", and I want our vegetable garden to be a destination, someplace we enjoy being, not a place that requires attaching a ball and chain on the kids and electric fencing to keep them in there.

Victory Gardens, were vegetable and fruit gardens planted by civilians in their backyards during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the wars.

Our Victory Garden will be our answer to high food prices and will will provide us with fresh, pesticide free produce.

We started building our raised beds built from recycled composite deck boards, and I believe we have enough recycled materials saved up to create our garden destination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't want to burst your bubble----the guinnea hen is the only known enemy we have of our gardens----we have learned how to keep the dogs out, the critters out---but not the guinneas which is why most of our crops are now under ground--we just finished eating our potatoes from last year including sweet potatoes and we still have butternut, which somehow survived their attacks. Good luck--think about a fence with cover.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the garden! I like your raised bed! Much nicer than my poor scrap wood ones! Green beans are one of the easiest and most productive veggies I have done. Hopefully you will have a great harvest! Love, Mom.