Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Katanga


Depending on which survey you read, there are between 10 and 18 million pet birds in the USA. The pet bird is 3rd behind dogs & cats.

I have had some very rewarding relationships, with some extraordinary birds in my life. It was about ten years ago that Katanga, a Blue Fronted Amazon parrot came to live with me. At the time I was told he was about 22 years old. My guess would be Katanga was a wild caught parrot who at one time new the sights and sounds of a far away South or Central American jungle.

I first saw Katanga's picture when he was put up for adoption through a wonderful organisation called, "The Connecticut Association for Avianculture", or CAFA. I would often look at his picture while I considered adding him to my life. I thought for sure he would be placed with a new family very fast, but week after week went by, and each time I was a little relieved, that no one offered to provide him with a permanent home. maybe I was being a bit selfish. Finally one day I decided to go for it and I started the adoption process.

When I arrived at the house of very kind women who was fostering Katanga, she led me to his room for our first meeting and the start of our life together. She explained to me that he was a screamer, and often would risk her fingers while attempting to feed him.
Anyone who has encountered an angry parrot knows that this could be extremely intimidating and painful.

She then proceeded to tell me a story that to this day could bring a tear to my eye. She told me about the day she picked up Katanga from a man who for one reason or another needed to part ways with him. Many times this is because a new girlfriend or boyfriend comes into the picture and parrots being very possessive, will often not want to tolerate this new person coming between them.

So she told me how this man handed her this beautiful bird and a bag of his toys and pretty much walked away. She told me how she could not understand how after all the years he spent with him, why was he so cold toward Katanga.

As she secured the cage holding this brilliant green bird she spotted the man in the door watching, and as she was about to drive away, she saw that the man was approaching the car. He came to the open window closest to Katanga, and with tears pouring down his face, he learned in and said, "I just need to say goodbye".

So 10 years ago I am driving home with this angry bird that attempted to attack this nice lady and everyone that went near his cage. All the way home I thought that perhaps I had just made a major mistake.
When I arrived at home I located my insurance card and prepared for a trip to the emergency room because I thought that I would be ripped to shreds, or he would sink his razor sharp beak into my flesh, stopping only when he hit bone.

Maybe I was a bit crazy or maybe deep down I like the sight of my own blood gushing from a artery, so I opened his cage and offered him my hand. I am not sure how to explain the sound of a happy Blue Fronted Amazon parrot, but the noise he was making was anything but threatening. he climbed onto my arm and stopped when he reached my shoulder and sort of let out a calm sound that might have meant, "I am Home".

There is no place Katanga would rather be the sitting on my shoulder, getting his head scratched and taking a nap. But he is so protective and possessive of me, if anyone comes near us, he will attack them and scream until my eardrums burst, but when we are alone, he is the sweetest creature, and my friend for life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow..Now that you're back to work we're not getting our updates on the "Little House on the River"...Come on man...I look forward to them...(only kidding).
Love you guys,
Kathy