Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Everything Happens For A Reason


October 15 2009 is the 4 year Anniversary of the 100 year flood that struck here on Saturday October 15 2005. On that fateful day I lost almost everything I owned, and was faced with a sense of hopelessness that is impossible to describe. Forty Five years of personal belongings suffered severe water damage, My Jeep was ruined and my house was a disaster. I did not even have a pair of sneakers.

With all that said, it also was the best thing that has ever happened to me. Because of the flood and for no other reason then the flood I now have Jeanne, Jordan, and Tommy to share my life with. I could not begin to imagine a life not shared with them. Every single day they bring more joy and love into this home. It is because of the 3 of them I have a reason.

The process of gutting the house and rebuilding was grueling. Ron is probably the reason I survived the many months of work that I don't think I could ever do again. He was always here to lend a hand and tested the limits of his back, and every other muscle in his body. He kept me going when I was spent. I think Ron is the only person that knows how destroyed this place was.

It was a 100 year flood and that means it has a 1 chance in a 100 it could happen any year. The folks that have lived in the area do not recall a flood that severe in their lifetimes.
On a average day like today October 15 2009 the Willimantic River has a flow rate of 76 cfs (cubic feet per second) and a gauge height of 2.5 feet. I believe 200 cfs is the ideal for canoe/kayaking. On October 15 2005 the river peaked at 12300 cfs and a gauge height of 14.61 feet.

I lived at Jeanne's house in South Windsor for the year it took to rebuild and she was brave enough to move back here Oct of 06 and that is the day this empty house became a Home for the first time.

My life changed that day in October and I am very thankful that Mother Nature brought that disaster my way. This is a Happy Anniversary.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to the Baker
Family..... Steve, I am glad you are part of our family. It took an
act of God to bring you together and I know He blesses you all.

Love, Mom

Roberta said...

I too, say God watchs over you and your family...I have never seen you so happy.....Happy Anniversary,

Love Babycakes LOL

Anonymous said...

This touched my heart...My sister and her kids are the lucky ones to have Steve in their live!!
Love,
Kathy