Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Cricket Farming.or.Project# 627

We go threw our fair share of crickets here. We feed them to 9 Geckos, 1 Gecko at school, and Larry the Bearded Dragon that lives in Tommy's room.
The pet stores sell them for anywhere between 5 - 10 cents each. And they don't always have them in stock. The past couple of months I have ordered them online at approximately $10.00 per 1000. But the packaging and shipping tacked on for overnight delivery jacks that up to close to $30.
Because of the quality of the crickets and the prices to buy them locally,we have decided that we will become Cricket Ranchers. ( OK I decided and maybe I will tell Jeanne soon) After everything I have read, I am amazed how easy it is to breed and raise these tasty little morsels with very little start up cost.
Crickets live 2-3 months and each female will lay 50 to 100 eggs. With 10 - 20 females I have 1000 crickets. Now can you for one minute imagine, 1000 crickets laying eggs ? Some cultures consider crickets to be good luck.

All that is needed is a few 18 gal Rubbermaid totes or similar for housing the colony. Food, water, and a heat source. Small 2-3 inch deep Rubbermaid containers (2 for $1. at the Dollar store) Fill with a substrate such as moist peat and place in with the colony of crickets. After a few days the substrate will be packed with tiny little eggs. Incubation is approximately 7-10 days. To achieve more consistent results I am going to use my incubator, but most articles recommend simple solutions like a heat pad or placing the container on a warm appliance such as a VCR or TV for warmth.
I am expecting my first hatch in about 10 days. This is really exciting and I know you are all on the edge of your seats, so I will post my results in about 10 days.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your welcome to do what ever you want / as long as your project stays in the basement and not my kitchen , and I don't have to take care of them .

Anonymous said...

Oh good Lord, only you would think of that... you will need someone to merchandise them LOL I could be the one......do you pay mileage?

Anonymous said...

I can not imagine how many you will have!!! Looks like Jeanne found out huh? can't wait for the results!! Just don't leave the cover off, right? Love you all. Mom

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!