Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gardeners Black Gold

I was taught many years ago that dirt is what you find under your fingernails, otherwise you call it soil. We finally have a compost bin to produce some rich organic soil for the garden. Thirty five years ago, before compost was a household word, a man named Christy McCormack tried to teach this then 15 year boy the importance of compost. I wished I listened more to my elders.
I have never enjoyed collecting the fallen leaves like I did this year, as I chopped them into little bits, all I could think of is the Black Gold I could produce in my compost bin. This could possibly be the secret ingredient I need to produce that giant pumpkin. Mixing brown leaves and sticks provides the carbon, grass clippings chicken poop,and kitchen scraps for the nitrogen, the proper amount of water and air, the mixture heats up produces bacteria, fungi, and other micro organisms that break it all down and produce the gardeners Black Gold.(Not Texas Tea)
I made the mistake of going to the Cornell University's link they have for compost. They had dozens of equations and pages of scientific information and after attempting to read the equations and information that go into producing compost,






I think I will mix some leaves, grass, and dirt and hope for the best....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are one of the smartest men I know. You are so knowledgable (sp)? Keep up the good work and you'll get that pumpkin award!! lOVE, Mom