Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Stihl


I have declared war on the invasive species known as Autumn Olive. This plant was once planted along our highways but is now banned in CT. It is said that, "Autumn Olive has the potential of becoming one of the most troublesome shrubs/ trees in the eastern United States." It is well established here and to make it more difficult it is thickly intertwined with thornbushes that have large, razor sharp thorns, and I swear they reach out and grab you as you pass by. Also thrown into this mix is the invasive Bittersweet vine. The combination of the 3 makes for a impenetrable thick wall.

The best weapon I have at this point is my trustworthy Stihl chainsaw. I wish I could spell the "grunt" that Tim The Tool Man Taylor would utter when he spots a tool he likes because that is how I feel about my Stihl. When I bought this saw I had in mind crawling and cutting my way threw the thick entanglements. In my opinion, "The Stihl is the best saw available."
I have lost a lot of blood during this battle and I am slowly gaining ground, I clear areas inch by inch and if I clear a 10 x 10 area in a day I feel successful. My plan is to plant Grass, Cedars and other Evergreens leading to the little stream that borders the north forty.

The only regret is the thickets do provide good cover for wildlife and it will be a number of years before the Evergreens mature enough to compensate for the loss. My solution is, I have been building a thick hedgerow between the street and field. Most of the brush I cut I add to the hedgerow and it is rapidly engulfed in thorns, poison ivy and other fast growing plants. This hedgerow provides great cover for the wildlife, and provides a natural fence and screen from the road.
.
To my Honey Pumpkin Lover...
I wish I had one of those bulldozers...
Christmas is coming!!!!!!!!




2 comments:

Roberta said...

the guy that sold you the truck has a big bulldozer for sale, you would have fun on that one.

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are working very hard in your temporary "retirement" cutting bruah is no small matter. Keep on!! Love, Mom