Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Tradition or Torture


I believe in Christmas traditions. I have enjoyed 50 Christmas mornings and many were steeped in tradition. We are carrying on some of the same traditions and have added a couple. First is what I remember as a kid. No one goes into, or peeks into the room with the tree and presents. "Our living room." They can bring the stockings from Santa to our room, climb into bed and open them. Then we must all get up, cook a hardy breakfast, sit down together and eat very slow, and clean up the dishes.
Starting this year I have added what the kids at this point consider Torture. We all must slip on our winter gear, go down to the river and spread out a entire 50lb bag of whole corn for all the waterfowl on the river. Then we fill the bird feeders and water the chickens.
I personally found watching all the wild and domestic waterfowl enjoying a Christmas morning feast was a blast. I don't think the kids do yet because every time I turned around they were half way back to the house. To me, it makes the morning last a little bit longer.
When they are grown and on their own, they will look back fondly on our traditions, and the short walk to the river on Christmas morning, or they may possibly think Old Uncle Eve was a nut case.

I am exhausted from watching Jeanne work late into the night creating another perfect Christmas for the kids, I think I will put on my brand new Yellow Polka Dotted Transformer PJs and relax for the rest of the day.

Merry Christmas to all.

3 comments:

Roberta said...

ok you are now officially gooooonnnnee LOL

Anonymous said...

Jeanne does go far and beyond! I love the tradition of feeding the "family" first. There is something about nature that makes one's heart feel so warm. It is the warm fuzzy feeling of love!!

Your pj's sound cute!!
Love you all, Mom and Fred

Anonymous said...

A PS to yesterday: The tradition is great, as for the children remembering I feel assured they will. The life skills you both are teaching them can not but carry on into their very hearts and lives. Torture?? I don't think so. Every child should have such torture!! Love, Mom