Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tree Hollows


When I was much younger, I read a book titled, "My Side Of The Mountain" by Jean Craighead George, about a boy, Sam Gribly, who runs away and creates a home for himself in a Hollow Tree.
I have a deep appreciation for hollow trees. Tree hollows are a valuable, and often critical resource for many species of wildlife .
All the Woodpeckers use hollows along with, Bluebirds, Frogs, Screech Owls, Fox, Opossum, Kingfisher, Wood Duck, Snake, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser, Barred Owl, Weasel, Bear, Tree Swallow, Spider, Ants, Honey Bees, Mice, Squirrels, Chickadee, American Goldeneye, Mink, Skunk, Termite, Raccoon, Gnomes, Bobcat, Salamander, Snails, Bats, the list is endless.
The displacement or death of wildlife species dependant on those hollows is directly related to the removal of hollow trees.

I wandered our land and recorded many of the hollows.

And now, I must confess, "I really wanted to be Sam Gribley"

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We loved your smilebox. Some of the hollows were just beautiful and in #20 you can see a squirrel or something?? peeping out. Keep up the good work, Steve. Your pictures are amazing, I still feel that your talent should be shared by the world. Love, Mom and Fred

PS We saw a black squirrel on the way to church thiss am... I had never seen a black one!! Have you??

Anonymous said...

black squirrels come from Westfield,Ma. They were imported to Stanely Park ages ago by the founder of Standley Home Products. They are beautiful

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that bit of info on the black squirrel. Lakeville, PA is a long way from Westfield, MA. It was a very neat find for me as I try to see something new every day.