Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Yankee Ingenuity


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yankee ingenuity is an American English reference to the self-reliance of early colonial settlers of New England, United States. It describes an attitude of make-do with materials on hand. It is inventive improvisation, adaptation and overcoming of dire straits when faced with a dearth of materials.

"Make do with materials on hand" I like that..
I save stuff! I have always saved stuff. I can not throw out something if there is a slight chance I might find a use for it sometime in the next 20 years. Or maybe I might meet someone in the future that might need it.

I needed a heated seed propagator. This provides beneficial bottom heat to your seed trays.
With a bit of Yankee Ingenuity, I built this Heated Propagator, using a tiny bit of my allowance.
The box is 4' long and lined with metal flashing. I installed 3 light fixtures ($2.00 each) to provide the heat, and topped it with 3 - 16x16 floor tiles that absorb the heat. The clear containers act as a mini greenhouse and the lights overhead are 100 watt compact fluorescent bulbs which only use 23 watts. The light bulbs inside are 40 watt, and I may be able to drop that to 30 watts.

It is a great feeling when you build something, or fix something because you saved some stuff that normal people would toss out.

This Connecticut Yankee will continue to collect stuff, because you never know!!

4 comments:

babycakes (at home) said...

young man; way to much time on your hand,,,,

Anonymous said...

Bobbie, (aka babycakes ) good to see you are back home.

Anonymous said...

It looks great!! Now to get to planting time... I too am a saver... When we sold in NH most of my treasure was disposed of. Sad!! Keep up the good stuff you do. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yankee ingenuity......guess I married the original yankee man (He would not like the reference to the yankee though---I am sure he originated in Boston)