Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Friday, March 19, 2010

The Company Of Frogs


It does not get much better then Springtime on the Homestead.

During the winter nights,It gets so quiet outside.
And then you blink..
Spring arrives and the vernal pools come alive with breeding amphibians, and the nightly chorus of Spring Peepers fill the night with wonderful music that sends the message, life is beginning again..
I wish I could leave the windows open all night. This is a battle I usually lose, at least until the night temperatures reach the upper 60s or more.

On the last day of Winter, the night was full of sound so we decided to go on a Spring Peeper patrol. The only problem is, neither one of them grasp the concept of stealth. I think a blind, deaf frog would hear us coming. I should have told them to pretend you are sneaking into the cookie jar.

Frogs and Toads are just another of my passions. I have enjoyed many as pets through out my life and continue to keep one now and then.

My sister Peg, does not understand the attraction I have with these creatures, which brings me to a story.

Once a long, long time ago, Peg placed a phone call to our folks. When they answered, on the other end was Peg, hysterically screaming into the phone to come over immediately. Thinking that some tragedy had struck one of their grandkids or Willie, they raced the 20 minutes out to her house. When they arrived they were greeted by a crying and trembling daughter, and when she was finally able to speak, she asked them to remove the toad from her garden.
I still get a laugh when I remember my folks telling me that tale.

I Love Spring and Frogs

HAPPY SPRING

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record, it was huge and very ugly....I am not sure what kind of toads you have in your area, but here in Ellington, they are just not right! Huge, brown, warty, and lumpy!!!! UGH!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Spring to you too. It is here!! Most of the snow has gone the way of rain-clouds. I love the spring nights with peepers and soft sounds in the woods... Love, Mom