Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Attack Geese

A pair of geese decided to build a nest under the back porch. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons this was not a good idea, so we moved the 5 eggs to the incubator with our Guinea Fowl eggs.
Reasons,
1- Geese are large, strong birds. When protecting a nest they can be intimidating and vicious. Kopper is a 100lb Labrador Retriever and the geese did not hesitate to let him know he was trespassing. If they had teeth, he would have lost a nice chunk of skin.
2- The kids could be the next victim of a Ganders sneak attack. They already ask to go out the front door instead of the back. I think being attacked by a goose, could land a child in therapy for years.
3- A raccoon, skunk, or possum would eventually get the eggs. It never fails. I had a favorite Muscovy duck nest in a open shed. I put on a door and closed it up every night. I forgot to do it once, and both duck and eggs disappeared. It never fails.
4- We are raising this porch with the rest of the house, and I would hate to take out extra insurance to cover death by goose. Our Fed-Ex driver sits in the driveway and toots the horn if the Guinea fowl are in the front yard. I tried to explain they only eat UPS drivers. I don't need contractors afraid of my backyard.

So the geese will hatch in the house and we will give the job of "foster mom" to Jordan. At least she won't attack me. I hope!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your hatchery is really booming. You are the greatest protector of nature. I can't wait to see the results from your efforts. Love, Mom