Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Future Scientists and Inventors

When I was in grammar school, I entered the school science fair. I remember it involved a snail, some water plants, and a small glass bowl. Today I can be honest! I only did it because I wanted a pet snail.

Tommy and Jordan entered projects in Vinton School’s Invention Convention and Science Fair. Jordan did an experiment testing incandescent vs. compact fluorescent lights on plant germination. I worked with her on this project and my main goal was to teach her how to do an equal and fair evaluation.
Tommy did a display about dinosaur fossils. We made some footprints in Plaster of Paris and destroyed one of Jeanne’s new cake pans. With him my main goal was to do as little damage to the house as possible. I get such a chuckle hearing the boy pronounce “extinct.” I believe it is something like “onstink”

All the kids are very proud to be participating in this event. You can see it in the faces of each one. When you give them a “Great Job” their eyes light up a bit.
I liked the Volcanoes, The Doggie Slicer, The Egg In A Bottle, Miranda’s ‘OOBLECK’ and I really liked Nibbles The Cat.

All the kids that participated in Vinton’s ‘Invention Convention and Science Fair; did a outstanding job, and to me, it doesn’t matter what the project is, “it is all about the participation.”
Mrs. Barrows should be proud of her young scientists and inventors, and next year, I hope they have a Snail Project.

To the 2nd grade student who extracted DNA from a Grapefruit, when I was in the second grade, girls were gross, frogs were cool, and I don’t think I could tie my shoes.
Great Job!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the fair was a huge success! I agree with you, Steve,
the kids of today are so smart and as you say it is not the project or how detailed it is.. It is about the recognition they get, from their peers, teachers and parents. I love to see the lights in the eyes of children. Love, Mom