Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Bufo


Eastern American Toad,(Bufo a. americanus).
I love the name Bufo. I do not know why someone stuck this animal with the name Toad.

I once was in a remote, but nice bar in Costa Rica, and I could not speak spanish and the bartender did not speak english. It was just he and myself in the bar that night, and both of us chatting away, when he mentioned the word "Sapo", he recieved no response from me. Next he said, "Bufo". I knew what he said, and he knew I knew. So he pointed behind the bar, and sure enough, there was,(Bufo marinus) The Giant Cane Toad. We don't have Cane Toads in Connecticut, which is probably a good thing. They can get big enough to eat a small Volkswagen, and people have been known to lick them for the hallucinogenic experiences.

We do have 3 Species of toads, The American Toad, The Fowlers Toad, and the endangered Eastern Spadefoot Toad.
Here on the homestead we have an abundance of Toads. So many Toads, I at times have been forced to halt mowing areas because of all the frogs and toads hoping around.
I don' expect to see a Fowlers, but I will keep a eye out for the Eastern Spadefoot.

I will be sending 8X10, framed prints of this to my sister.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture of Bufo.!! Your sister will LOVE the 8x10. You are so thoughtful to send her one... So glad you had no serious damage.. We prayed real hard for you and they say "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear".....
Love you all, HAPPY EASTER, Love, Mom and Fred

Anonymous said...

ok, so the small picture was enough to make me think about closing out the blog all together. I will pass on the 8x10. Not sure why they have such an effect, but if you ever contemplate torturing me----a simple visit by the bufo will get you all the information you need (keep in mind I have no secrets)