Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fad In - Fad Out

The homestead has been infected by the Silly Bandz Bracelet Craze.

I should know better, when Jordan comes to me with that sweet, injured puppy dog, loving attitude, instead of the " I know I'm 8 years old, but I will be 16 soon, stop talking to me you big goober, approach", and she asked me for $5, how could I resist. I even spent part of my day driving around looking for these expensive rubber bands, all because of that look she gives me.
I spent $4.99 for 24 rubber bands, multiplied by 2, because the boy is also into them.
At Staples®, you can get 460 Economy Rubber Bands for $1.99. That's a 1/4 pound of rubber bands. Or go for the 1-lb bag and you have, 2,360 bands. I know if I tried to explain that to the kids, I would receive that, "your a goober" look.

I know when I was a student in the 60s, at Vernon Elementary School, we collected baseball cards, And I did not even like baseball. We would walk across Rt30 to The Charrest Esso Station and buy a pack for a nickle. On the play ground we would gamble with others to try and win their cards away from them. We had games like, pitching/flipping, which could be compared to pitching pennies against a wall. The big games were colors, or teams. This was were you would turn over cards onto a pile, and who ever matched colors or the teams, depending on what you were playing, would win the pile.
I always did good on the play ground, but at home I would lose them to my older brother. He convinced me I was unable to see true colors and I had a form of colorblindness, I now know Magenta and Green are not the same. I lost thousands, if not millions of cards to him. I heard he may trade them for a beach house when he retires.

I can't forget my all time favorite, The Rat Fink. These little tokens came in many colors and we got them from gum ball machines. To this day I am hooked on the Little Rat Finks. Occasionally I regress back to my childhood and go onto ebay and look at the Rat Finks. I once saw a nice collection of 9 different color finks, sell for $400.( no honey, I did not bid)

The kids understand our rules about the Silly Bandz, You can wear a few at a time to school, "but" if they become a issue at school, they become a issue at home.

And if I should ever win the Powerball, I will commission two, twenty foot, solid plastic purple Rat Finks, one for my field, and one for the lot I will buy next to my brothers house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This fad is on the news as banned from many schools. The children have had them stolen and it caused
a lot of friction. (sp)? It is so good that she can wrap you around her little finger, shows she loves you and kn ows it is mutual. I remember things we saved, wish I had some of them today!! Have a wonderful time at the parade. Love, Mom and Fred