Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Hoping For A Visit

According to the Connecticut DEP, between May 25, 2009 to May 25, 2010, they have received 2767 reported Black Bear sightings. Fifteen of those came from Tolland over the past few days.

Jeanne thinks I am nuts, (she may be correct) I hope this bear decides to float down the river for a visit. I would be thrilled to see a bear here. I believe it is only a matter of time before a bear or moose wander through, following the river.

I have had the good fortune of encountering both awesome animals in the past. I treasure those memories.

On one of my canoe trips along the Allagash with my first dog Max. I awoke one night to a very soft growl coming from Max. I peeked out of the tent, and the full moon illuminated a very large Bull Moose walking 5' from my tent. I was very thankful Max knew not to bark. I am only guessing, but I would think getting trampled by a monster moose would have put a damper on the trip

My most memorable bear encounter came while backpacking the High Sierra Trail in California.
After hiking 17 miles into the mountains, I was heating up some supper, resting my unprepared, blistered feet, when a bear lumbered into my camp, and decided he wanted to share my supper. At first, I sat and enjoyed my meal while watching Yogi attempt to intimidate a free meal from me. It all was somewhat cute, until he came in close enough that when I stood up he grabbed the sleeping pad I was sitting on and wildly shook it. A spoon banging my cook pan was all it took to shoo him away. When I climbed into my sleeping bag , I could hear him circle my tent all night long, but I was so tired, I thought, go ahead and eat me, I'm gong to sleep.
Thankfully this was a Black Bear. If it had been a Grizzly, I probably would still be wearing diapers.

For a very long time Jordan has had nightmares about bears, so we don't talk about the bear in the area, but if we do get to see him, I hope she will appreciate the experience.
Just knowing that the boy is armed and ready to defend the family, is very soothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The boy does look like he could take on a couple of bears. I was so happy last year when our bear came to visit during the day. He is pretty big!! It must be exciting to have climbed the High Sierras. I always wanted to hike the mountains. Now I'm too old!!

Hope you get your wish.... Love, Mom