Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Monday, May 10, 2010

WISTERIA, THE JURY IS OUT

I was first introduced to Wisteria 15-20 years ago. Friends had a beautiful specimen growing over their back deck, and I fell in love with this woody vine, with the showy grape like clusters of purple flowers. To me this is such a beautiful plant when it grows over a arbor or pergola.

I planted my wisteria about 2 years ago, at the site of our future pergola. This year was my first year that we had spectacular blooms.

Chinese wisteria was brought to the U.S. from China in 1816 as an ornamental planting.
Over the years I (oops) have helped friends plant Wisteria on their decks, and after a few years of growth, many have come to regret it.

It appears, that I may have had a affair with, and promoted a plant that has been reported invasive in at least 19 states, and challenge for several national parks in the south eastern US. In 2006, The USDA Forest Service named it weed of the week.

Like a Boa Constrictor, Chinese wisteria will wrap itself tightly around the trunks and branches of the host tree and cut bark, eventually girdling and killing it. It will dislodge a deck, and squeeze between gutters and the house, eventually pulling the gutters away from the house.

I can not decide, if I will eliminate mine, or enjoy it.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OOPS or oops may mean:
An interjection on realizing that the person has made a mistake or slipped

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mistake or not, I love wisteria. The beautiful blooms and the smell!!! I know it can cause some damage, but can't it be controled?!
Yours is so beautiful, it always makes me think of the deep south and old mansions. Love, Mom