Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Garter Snake

Like many other youngsters, It is the Common Garter Snake that I first chased and handled. It was this species of snake Tommy and Jordan first encountered outdoors. I think almost anyone who spends time outdoors has encountered and can recognise the Common Garter Snake.

I have handled my share of Garter Snakes and have had a few land a painless bite. They have always been considered nonvenomous , but recently I read they do produce a mild toxic venom. And anyone who has ever captured a Garter Snake can tell you about the NASTY, HORRIBLE, PUTRID smelling fluid they produce when first captured. This is a defensive tool they use to discourage critters from messing with them.

We have an abundance of Garter Snakes here and although common, I still think they are spectacular animals.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How nice, a friend for Chester! Are you going to name him??
Love to all, Mom