Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Days Are Numbered

Hollywood California was experiencing some record setting heat back in July of 1945 when a writer and a composer, Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne got together during that sweltering heat wave and wrote, "LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW".

I woke up this morning and decided I do not like these two men very much, and I find myself singing, "LET IT STOP, LET IT STOP, LET IT STOP".

I usually appreciate the beauty of a snowstorm, but, "Not NOW" . We have so much to finish before February arrives, and this 25 inches of snow does not help our schedule.

I hired another local contractor to help me finish, and hopefully meet the Feb deadline. I first meet Earl Logsdon from Logsdon Contracting, while standing in line at school waiting to pick up the kids. We had a few conversations over the years and his son Dylan, and Tommy are friends at school. Earl also gives his time to the Boy Scouts and is Tommy's Cub Scout Den leader. It also helped that he drives a nice truck.

Earl came through for us in a big way. We needed to provide a estimate from a licensed contractor that detailed the labor we put into the project. This is necessary because under the terms of the grant we are to provide 10% of the grant in either cash or labor. We needed to work off or pay approximately $15,000, and it looks like we have already put in $27,500 of sweat equity, or in kind services.

I hired Earl to shingle the roof over the front porch, install the siding, and pop in the nine new windows. He has also offered to help in other areas of the project for the same price and I really appreciate having him on the job.

While Earl finishes the outside work, the inside work to be done is:,
run the rough electrical, insulate, sheetrock, floors, paint, finish electrical and install baseboard heat.

I just got comfortable working in 32 degree temperatures, now with the forcasted temperatures, I will need to develope a new comfort zone, somewhere in the 20 degree range with a wind chill factor sending that number lower.

I may be a full blooded 100% New Englander, but until this project is finished, Please Please,
"NO MORE SNOW, NO MORE SNOW, NO MORE SNOW!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They say more is coming! I'm so glad you were able to get someone to help you. Wow, you have really worked hard!!!! Hope that some will melt soon. We need a couple of winter thaw days. Love to all, Mom and Fred