Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Another School Year Over


I am somewhat amazed that I can still remember certain things about the 18 years I spent attending Vernon Elementary School in the 1960s.
I remember starting 3rd grade screaming, crying, and begging my mother not to make me go into Mrs Kies classroom, I think during my hysterical breakdown i told my mother she was the meanest teacher in school, and she ate kids she didn't like. Turns out she was a awesome teacher that I still remember today.
I remember my first day of kindergarten and meeting Steve Eitelmen. We were friends back then, and we see each other now and then, but sadly it is at his or my parents funerals.

I remember Patti, Chip, Butch, and my first crush, Kathy Houle. I remember Mrs Andersen and Mrs McCarthy. I remember everyday giving my chocolate Ring Ding that my mother packed in my lunch to Mrs Young. I also learned you can't buy good grades with a daily Ring Ding.

After driving the kids to and from school approximately 358 times this year, and driving Jordan to the middle school something like 89 times for her Violin lessons, Last week we celebrated the last day of school for the kids, and it was Jordan's last day at Vinton Elementary School.

I can not begin to imagine that there is a better School or group of teachers that we could have trusted with the incredible job of educating the kids. Its one thing to learn math reading and writing, its a whole different ballgame when you teach a child to love reading and learning. Jordan has attended Vinton Elementary School from Kindergarten through the forth grade and in that short period of time she has, sung some beautiful songs in the school choir, acted on stage in a wonderfully produced play, participated with a project each year in the school science fair, performed alone on stage in the Vinton talent shows, and played the Violin at a number of concerts. I now realize, that emotional feeling with the watery eyes I experienced while she was on stage, was called pride.

She entered Vinton school 5 years ago as a shy little kid, and now as she leaves Vinton for Jr High, she has become a young lady filled with confidence with a love for books, and a hunger for knowledge.

Andy Rooney said;
Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives.

Like the thousands of students that have passed through Vinton, I am sure that Jordan will never forget, Dr Palmer, Mrs Terry, Mrs LeFevre, Mr Toomey, Mrs Csere, Ms Hain, and all the incredible Folks at Vinton.
Thanks to all of them for the enormous and positive influence you had on Jordan.

Tommy has moved on to the second grade and during his time in the first grade, I witnessed incredible growth everyday. I think I was in the 4th grade when I learned some of the assignments he has completed.
We had to beg a little, but he joined the choir, which means he had to give up some recess time, but we were able to enjoy watching him on stage. He also entered the school science fair while in the first grade.
During school sponsored no TV week, they hold different events at school in the evening. One of those events is bingo and when Tommy won, he had a choice, he could pick a toy, or pick lunch with the school principal. Two years in a row he chose lunch with Dr Palmer.

The last few weeks of school have been extremely difficult for me. After driving him to school 179 times, and walking him down to his classroom each morning, I would always get a hug or two from him before he went into his classroom. He broke my heart about 3 or 4 weeks ago when he informed me he is to old for hugs at school and that men shake hands.

The years are passing by far to fast and I really need time to slow down!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Milestones come and go, the teachers will remember the children too. It is a little sad when they think they are too old for hugs..... Tell them they are NEVER too old for hugs. Hugs are a necessary part of life! A vital part of life. You are the best! We loved the pictures. Especially the field of grass and two happy children. Love you all, Mom and Fred