Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Guest Writer

The boy woke this morning and informed me he wanted to post a story on the blog. I opened up word for him and let him have a go at it. I did not edit his words or spelling and just walked away until he was done.

Now the big question that I ask myself, Do I teach him how to use spell check on the computer?

I think not yet. I believe spell check will weaken his ability to think, to identify mistakes, to pay attention to detail, and to make corrections on his own. Why struggle and sound out a word if all you need to do is hit a button on your computer screen.

Another reason to avoid spell check, he is so darn cute when he is attempting to sound out a word.

My cuteness dissipated years ago so, I thank god for spell check.

Below is Tommy's first post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right to let him figure out the spelling and sounding of words. Keep up the good work. Love, Mom