Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Keek's Story

When I moved in a little Black Cat came to my back door every night. Not wanting a cat I hoped it would go home or go find another home.

Each time I opened the door this little thing would run off and then return as soon as my back was turned. I knew if I fed her she would never leave, but my heart was warming up to this little furball. So the tough guy who did not want a cat started picking up cans of food for her at the market.
She ran off every time I went out to feed her, but would return shortly for the free meal.

After a couple of months of this she would allow me to sit on the back porch and read my newspaper while she ate her 9 lives smorgasbord. Then one day while I read the paper she walked up close enough to brush her tail against me and run off, and a while after that she would bump her body into me and run off.
Then one day, all of a sudden, out of the blue, she jumped up on my lap and newspaper. This became a ritual, but by now I was getting concerned about the approaching Winter, it was getting cold and she would not come into the house.

Finally as she slept curled up in a chair on the porch I picked her up and brought her into the house. She hide in the closet all night and was terrified when I picked her up to turn her loose in the morning.

So she could maintain a sense of freedom,I bought one of those swinging cat doors and installed it in my bedroom window, and this is how she learned to come and go.

After the big flood, I did not see her for a number of weeks, and for awhile I feared I would not see her again. I was very relieved and excited when she returned.

She was really good company back when I was alone and today she still warms my heart and turned me into a Cat Person. She still has her door and comes and goes as she wishes and has bonded with Jeanne and tolerates Kopper.

Jeanne has been a great sport about Keeks private entrance, especially because on Jeanne's first night here, a Raccoon peeked his head in the door which was on Jeanne's side of the bed.

2 comments:

Roberta said...

I remember that cat well, soooo glad she is still around

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing Keek's story.
I really love the Homestead Blog.
Mom