Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Grandma's Cactus


Growing up I always new this as the Christmas Cactus. It is also called,Thanksgiving Cactus, Easter Cactus, and the Holiday Cacti. I think it should also be known as Grandma's Cactus. I remember my Grandmother always had a very large specimen growing in her house, and I would bet many others have that same memory. We have a large specimen here thanks to Pat. Most are in the genus Schlumbergera. ( I wish I could pronounce that.) I can pronounce Zygocatus and that is what I choose to call them. The cool thing is, they are a epiphytes from South America and I have always had a fascination with epiphytes. When I hiked the Cloud Forest of Costa Rica I saw many epiphytes growing in the trees. The orchid is a epiphyte.

From Encyclopedia.com (epiphyte A plant that uses another plant, typically a tree, for its physical support, but which does not drawn nourishment from it. Well-known examples include Platycerium (staghorn fern) and many members of the Bromeliaceae and Orchidaceae. Epiphytes are a conspicuous feature of many kinds of tropical rain forest)

We have 5 different colors, pink, red, salmon, white, and yellow. The one hybrid they have not produced yet is blue. I believe this is one of my favorite house plants. they are extremely easy to propagate, and I have read that they could live 150 years.

The good thing is I don't get in trouble when I bring one home, like I do when I bring other things home.

2 comments:

Roberta said...

I have a pink on and someone just gave me a salmon one.....I love them and they sure are blooming.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all

Anonymous said...

My mother had these also. Jeanne's
Nana did also along with huge ivy plants. They are one of my favorites too. Hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.. So much to be thankful for. Love you, Mom