Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Social Skill ?



Chickens, Ducks, Guineas, Geese, Quail, and Cricket eggs, have been hatched here. Now we are attempting to add Leopard Gecko eggs to the list.

Jordan's gecko laid 2 eggs and we placed them in the incubator. If we incubate the eggs between 79- 82, we should produce females. If we wanted males, 87 - 88, would be the temperature.

About 2 years ago, I came across a Spotted Turtle laying her eggs out in the field. After she finished I fenced off the area to protect it from predators. Now I wish had moved the eggs to a incubator, they never hatched.

Something I read recently, has me getting anxious for Spring. Not that I need another reason to want Spring to sprang, or sprung.
If you take 8" flower pots, bury them upside down and half way into the ground along a hedge row, rock wall, or fence line. Snakes will use them to lay their eggs. To me this is so exciting I cannot sleep.

From,
The Waterman and Hill-Traveller's Companion, a Natural Events Almanac

"Hatching reptile eggs is one of those obscure social skills you're almost never called upon to use but which is an excellent skill to have if the occasion should arise"


I wonder, should I list this as a social skill on my Résumé ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the hatching. Steve you are definitely a one of a kind... What will you do with the snake eggs if you find them?? Some snakes hatch out live babies don't they?? I'm not a snake person!! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

that is just not good----I believe we are fine in the snake department. There is no shortage, just let this one go for mother nature. We may not visit......don't think about doing it for toads or frogs.