Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Friday, June 25, 2010

At War With Raccoons

Sigmund Freud defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness.

Hate is a extremely strong word, a word I really do not like to use or hear.
The problem words such as; dislike, abhor, abominate, despise, execrate, detest, loathe, just don't seem to match the strong hostility I feel toward Raccoons.

I do not know why I woke up at 2:30 in the morning, with the air conditioner running, I certainly did not hear anything. Something just told me to go outside and check things out.

What I found was a Raccoon reaching his paws in through the chicken wire pen, attempting to pull the young Guinea fowl he just killed through the wire. I chased him off and surveyed the damage. one guinea fowl dead the other missing.

This was not a easy kill, the pen is covered with chicken wire on all sides and the top. Along the ground I buried wire to prevent anything digging under. The pen measures 8'x16' and the only thing in it at the time was 2 young guineas we hatched.

The question now is, how did the raccoon get the birds to come close enough to the edge. Close enough to reach in with it's paw and grab and kill the birds.
After chasing off the murderous raccoon, I went back to bed and when I inspected the cage this morning, I learned that the raccoon came back and chewed a hole in the wire at ground level to get the guinea he killed earlier

I Abhor Raccoons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are very smart!! We had them in NH and you never knew what they would do. Sorry about the babies.
Love, Mom