Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Bluebird's Nemesis

I have listened to many Bluebird enthusiast talk about guarding their Bluebird houses from the House Wren. I have heard about Bluebird fans evicting House Wrens whenever possible. this always appeared a bit extreme to me. I always thought, 'How much damage can a tiny little Wren do?

We have a family of House Wrens living in one of the boxes Jordan painted this past Winter. As I watched them, I wondered how this delicate little bird earned such a bad reputation.

I came across a video made with a nest cam by Linda Moore of Georgia. It is somewhat disturbing to watch, but I understand that all the baby Bluebirds were rescued by Linda Moore and her husband.

When Jeanne first watched this video, she immediately ordered me to go out and evict the Wrens. Thinking fast, I told her that studies have shown that keeping a Emu or two will deter house wrens from nesting within a 3 mile radius. Needless to say, I am not getting a Emu or two.

I now understand, but I won't be evicting any House Wrens, I'll just put up more boxes, and I have got to get some of those nest cams.

It appears to show a House Wren removing three out of four newborn Eastern Bluebird chicks from a nest box.

No comments: