Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Friday, December 24, 2010

"Boy, That's a Daisy!"

Back in 1886,inventor Clarence Hamilton introduced a new idea to a struggling windmill company known as "The Plymouth Iron Windmill Company, a manufacturer of windmills in Michigan.
Lewis Cass Hough, the company president took what was described as "a combination of metal and wire, vaguely resembling a gun that could fire a lead ball using compressed air" and after firing his first shot, enthusiastically exclaimed, "Boy, that's a daisy!"
In the late 1800s, "daisy" was a common slang term for "the best in it's class," and so The Daisy BB Gun was born.

I don't recall how old I was when I received my first BB Gun, but I do recall how much I wanted one. I do remember my father gave me my first 22 rifle when I was fourteen, and a 12 gauge shotgun a few years later.
Even back then I realized how special these gifts were. My father did not hunt, he did not collect guns, and his experience with guns was dating back to his service in the army. My father took the time to learn enough to pick out some quality guns that I still treasure today because he picked them out.

After giving this much consideration, I decided on Christmas morning, Tommy will receive his very first BB Gun. This is not just any BB gun, this is the genuine "Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun." The Red Ryder Gun was named after a 1938-1964 comic book hero, and was made famous to many by the movie, "A Christmas Story."

I look forward to teaching the boy about gun safety, and I look forward to the time we can spend target shooting. He will have some very strict rules that he will follow, and hopefully he will learn to respect and appreciate guns like I have.

I just hope I can wait until Christmas morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a perfect christmas present. I heard the bulldozers were on back order. sorry.

Anonymous said...

Take very tight control! Love and Merry Christmas to all. Mom & Fred