Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Paul Bunyan? Maybe Not..

There is something about trekking into the woodlands to harvest firewood that gives me a pioneerish feeling. (I don't know if pioneerish is really a word, but because this is my blog, lets pretend it is.)

I know supplying your own firewood, and using it to provide heat is nothing even remotely new, but for me, it is.
The most work I have ever had to do for heat, is to walk over to that little round thing on the wall called a thermostat, and turn it up, and the hardest part of that is paying the bill.

I am not sure what it is, but I get a tremendous feeling when I cut, split, and haul the firewood out of the woods. Every single log I touch, I think about the heat it will provide. When I split a large log into pieces, I think about filling the stove, and will this load last the night.
During the recent blizzard that dumped a massive 3 inches of snow, We had a couple of dead trees fall to the ground and I look at them and think, "OK, that tree will give us 5 days of heat, and that one will give us 7."

Tommy starts out strong, and some days he works hard loading the cart as I cut and split, but other days becomes bored with loading and designates himself the driver and delegates the loading to me.


Unbeknownst to Jeanne, I did teach him to split kindling wood with a hatchet, and he is really good at it. I was thinking because the boy and I are becoming genuine lumberjacks, maybe we could get one of those double headed axes, and practise the fine art of axe throwing.

So after spending part of a day in the woods, I can sit in my basement, give thanks for my Stihl chainsaw while I admire the nearly half cord of wood filling my wood bin, and think about the developing muscles I have not seen in years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do you call your tractor babe?

Anonymous said...

I love it!! We used to gather our wood and cut down trees in NH. In a way I miss it. Definitely I miss our 3 acres. The double headed axe?? I would rethink THAT!
Think of all the excercise you are getting:).. It is good for Tommy that he has you to learn from. Love to all. Mom and Fred