Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Monday, January 31, 2011

What Could Have Been

The Pinewood Derby is a racing event held by the Cub Scouts. Two Hundred years ago when I was a young Club Scout, I won this event, or I should say my father won the event, because I don't remember working on the car.
Maybe I did, maybe I didn't.

This was the boy's first Pinewood Derby and he choose a Star Wars themed car. It all starts with a block of wood, some wheels and axles.


The boy works to release a car hidden in his block of wood.


More sanding to define the shape and bring the car to life.


After all the shaping and sanding, we painted the car black, attached the wheels and strategically placed lead weights, and added some Star Wars Stickers.

Please Note, "Some components of this prototype car are classified top secret and can not be disclosed here."


This is "Darth Vader"


I am very sorry to say that Darth never had the opportunity to show just how fast he was.

Early in the morning on race day, The boy developed a stomach bug and spent race day recovering on the couch, and I imagine, he dreamed about what could have been.

Jordan was a big disappointment. I asked her to cut her hair, put on the boy's official Cub Scout uniform, and "Win one for the Gipper".

I don't think she wants to be in the same room as me.

Maybe next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad!!! It was a beautiful car and I know that he might have won. But he is a winner in just finishing the project. So many start and don't even come close to finishing. Blue ribbons for effort. Glad he is better.... Don't be too hard on Jordan, she is much too beautiful to pass off as a cub!!!!! Love, Mom and Fred

Anonymous said...

I am sure I was a judge on derby day many years ago and as I study the care and the detail that went into the sanding and the careful placement of the stickers........I declare that Tommy Baker, cub scout extroidinaire is the WINNER!!!!!! (Perhaps it has a John Deere motor)