Why Do You Stay? Why Don't You Move? After The Flood Of 2005, We hear This All The Time From Friends and Family. You May Find The Answer Here.
I hope you enjoy this Blog and all of the post below. Please disregard any errors in grammer, and give thanks to the greatest creation ever, Spell Check.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Camera Or Gun

Jeannette S Ferguson writes in Gardening With Guineas,
"When a predator is spotted near the farm, whether it is on the ground or overhead, every person and every farm animal will know. the guinea fowl will alert all within hearing distance, making such a racket it can cause a dog to howl and people to hold their ears.

A couple of afternoons ago, the guinea alarm sounded, joined by chickens, turkeys, and geese, all sounding off with their version of the predator alarm. The ruckus was the unmistakable avian scream, "something is here to eat us".

As I ran for the window, I observed my guineas running straight at a fox which had a chicken in it's mouth and was attempting a getaway. I turned toward the door and thought to myself, camera or gun.

I chose camera. My way of thinking went something like this. The chicken was most likely dead or near death and I would be forced to dispatch it. So shooting the fox would not save the chicken. Ever since man has kept chickens, it has been the foxes job to steal one now and then. The fox was only doing what foxes are trained to do. I do feel really bad for the chicken, and this is exactly why I don't name my chickens anymore.

If I had chosen to shoot the fox, and it would have been a very easy kill, I know I would question myself for days whether or not it was truly necessary to end the foxes life simply for being a fox.

So the fox was granted a reprieve, and I do not need to experience the anguish for taking his life.
But! and this is a Big "BUT", If the fox choses to come after Bob or Hope, my turkeys, or if he comes near Wilbur my beloved goose, it will be a sad day, and it will be his last day.

The quineas appeared to charge forward in an attempt to chase off the intruder.



No comments: